Welcome to Winter! As the memorable line from “Game of Thrones” reminds us, “Winter is coming.” With the arrival of November, we find ourselves in a world of darker mornings and early evenings, frosty air, and the need for warm scarves. But beyond these seasonal changes, there’s a hidden challenge: the decreased sunlight and its impact on our vitamin D levels, a crucial element for maintaining a robust immune system.
In today’s episode of EAT THIS with Lianne, we’re taking a deep dive into the intricacies of our immune system. It’s not just about warding off the flu or other seasonal bugs. Our immune system does far more; it’s continuously at work beneath our skin, maintaining our overall health, managing oxidative stress, and controlling inflammation.
Meet Our Guest: Dr. Tara Campbell
Joining us today is Dr. Tara Campbell, a respected naturopathic doctor who graced us with her insights back in episode 163. Dr. Tara, founder of Higher Health Naturopathic Centre & IV Lounge in Toronto, combines evidence-based medicine with naturopathic therapies to empower her clients towards achieving their highest health. Her approach is holistic, incorporating clinical nutrition, IV vitamin therapy, botanical medicine, acupuncture, and lifestyle modifications.
1. Understanding the Immune System:
- We start with the basics of the immune system, breaking down how it defends against pathogens and the critical distinction between innate and adaptive immune responses.
- What does a well-balanced and robust immune system look like? And how do anti-inflammatory and antioxidant practices form the foundation of immune health?
2. Inflammation and Immunity:
- Next, we explore inflammation’s role in the immune response. We discuss the difference between acute and chronic inflammation and how the latter can weaken the immune system.
3. Oxidative Stress and Its Impact:
- We delve into oxidative stress, defining it and its relation to free radical production. How does oxidative stress affect our cells and DNA, and subsequently, our immune system?
4. The Role of Antioxidants:
- The episode rounds off with a discussion on antioxidants. Dr. Tara shares practical tips for protecting our cells and reducing inflammation through diet and lifestyle changes.
Takeaways and Tips
- Dr. Tara emphasizes the importance of a personalized approach to health, addressing individual needs.
- She shares her top 5 supplements for boosting immune health: Omega 3’s, Vitamin D, Glutathione, Melatonin, and increased protein intake.
- Stress management, nurturing the nervous system, and cultivating a positive mindset are also key.
As always, we thank you for tuning in. Whether you’re a first-time listener or a long-time follower, your dedication to learning and advocating for your health is commendable.
Throughout the episode, we weave in real-life case studies and success stories, illustrating the significant improvements in immune health achieved by addressing inflammation and oxidative stress. We also touch on the future of immune health, discussing emerging research and the evolution of functional medicine in this field.
For more information and resources on immune health, visit Dr. Tara’s blog at Higher Health Centre.
Get Dr Tara’s new book – THE IV SOLUTION: Reclaim Your Wellness with Micronutrients, at Amazon.